Kadamay threatens to occupy more housing units – Ang Kwan




Image from Kadamay’s Facebook account
  • Kadamay scored failure of cops, soldiers to occupy housing units
  • Group warned it may continue takeover of unoccupied housing units

MANILA, Philippines  –  Urban poor group Kadamay has warned of more takeovers of unoccupied housing units following the failure of personnel from the Philippine National Police and Armed Forces to occupy them.

Kadamay chair Gloria Arellano said they have already taken note of the deadline for cops and soldiers to occupy the housing units which lapsed on June 15.

“We were told that they still have not finalized the list,” she told the Philippine Daily Inquirer. “What is taking them so long considering that they had already extended the deadline?”

According to Arellano, the unoccupied housing units should already be awarded to the poor and informal settlers given that the deadline was not met. She also cited government figures which pegged the number of unoccupied housing units at more than 100,000.

“There are still so many vacant housing units. In Bulacan province alone, there are 10,200 idle units,” she said. “Nationwide, there are more than 100,000.”

Around 4,000 urban poor and informal settlers took over an idle government housing project meant for PNP and AFP members in Pandi, Bulacan last March.

At the time, President Rodrigo Duterte ended tensions by agreeing to let them have the units. He also promised soldiers and police they would get bigger houses in exchange.

“I promise you, I’ll look for another land nearby or adjustment or maybe contiguous to the area there and I will build you better homes,” he said. “I will give you better homes, more expensive, more comfortable, and bigger [than the previous housing units given to you.”

This article has been viewed 203 times.

Article originally posted: June 17, 2017, 7:39 am (UTC-0). Last update: June 17, 2017 at 7:39 am (UTC-0).



Leave a Reply